When people listen to podcasts, they’re able to connect with hosts in a way that’s hard to replicate on other platforms. There’s a strong level of intimacy that’s built between hosts and listeners.
Podcast ads are different from ads on other platforms. For instance, unlike platforms such as YouTube, it’s impossible for listeners to download software to “block” podcast ads. There is no “adblock” for podcasts. The context around podcasting also makes it difficult for listeners to ignore the ads.
That’s why it is super important to incorporate the best advertising in your podcast to keep your listeners (and sponsors) happy.
Without a doubt the best type of advertisement is the Host or “Live Read”
What is a "Live Read"?
A Live Read is advertisement delivered natively within the content and fabric of a podcast, communicated conversationally by the host or hosts.
Podcast hosts are provided with a list of talking points to incorporate and riff from, for upwards of 60 seconds and many times well over that length.
What's So Great About "Live Reads"?
With a Live Read, the host is integrating the sponsored product into the current episode in an authentic way, and maybe even improvising on the spot. This has immense benefits over a generic pre-recorded commercial spot:
- The content is embedded seamlessly within the show.
- Listeners are more entertained and enthralled by a trusted personality reading the copy versus general-audience, produced commercials.
- The hosts are authentic and real; the ad is usually not scripted (but can be) and always done live, not pre-recorded.
- The live read isn’t constrained to a broadcast clock of just 60 seconds like pre-recorded commercials; it’s okay to go longer.
- The host is transparent with listeners that ads are what keeps the content free to them. It gives the product value.
- The read is accompanied by social sharing, and a mention in the show’s description.
How Do I Even Do a "Live Read"?
Your sponsor will usually give you some talking points for your Live Read and maybe even a sample of the product you will be talking about (In order for a host to speak with genuine enthusiasm about your product, they need to know what it is they’re talking about!).
While you can riff within the context of an ad to keep it flowing with your podcast, the perfect podcast Live Read contains the following key components:
1. The intro – this is often a personal story from the host that acts as a segue into the concept of the product. Or it can also be a statistic that creates context around the product.
2. Talking points– these are the key value propositions around the product or company that the sponsor wants to make sure the host mentions during their live read.
3. Call to action– this is the most important part. This is where you tell the listeners what you want them to do, which is usually visit the sponsor’s website at yourwebsite.com/yourvanityURL. You’ll want to read the call to action at least 3 times at the end of the live read, literally spelling it out if necessary.
Commercials are an Intrusion, so Make Them Enjoyable
Whether you’re listening to a radio station, watching television – or listening to a podcast – commercials are an intrusion. The art comes from writing, producing, and delivering great copy that delivers a compelling, attention-getting message – no matter the content that surrounds it.
OneCMS Tracks Your Live Reads!
One of the biggest cons of Live Reads is the inability to have a completely accurate number of people who heard the ad. With OneCMS, we make it easy to track how many people downloaded the episode AND how many people actually heard the ad when played via the client website or app.
We also offer the ability to notify the advertiser when the episode where their live read is featured has been published and at exactly what time in the episode their ad is read.